Monday, October 16, 2017

The Most Magnificent Thing

One of my favorite maker-themed books is called The Most Magnificent Thing by Ashley Spires.  This week, I read this book to our kindergarten students, and the students were excited to discover that the little girl in the story used the Engineering Design Process just like they do!  This book also really lends itself to a discussion about what students can do when they start to get frustrated or feel like they want to give up.  I love the message that it sends about perseverance!  

To go along with the story, I challenged students to create something that they felt was magnificent just like the little girl in the story did.  I had students share about some of the topics they have been including in their personal narratives in Writer's Workshop, and I further challenged them to create something that was not only magnificent but that also represented themselves (or their favorite things) in some way.  I was truly astounded by the students' incredible designs and creations.  I would definitely call them magnificent!



Check out this gamer purse!


The cutest little duck in the pond!

 Lego Land!



Love all of their flower gear!

Tweet tweet!  This little bird is ready for take-off!

Buzz!  Is that a bumblebee I see?

Cheetah alert!





No comments:

Post a Comment